Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Let us Learn Tagalog

Im glad to know that some friends have the time to visit my site even more often than i can and are always waiting for me to write something. And since some of them suggested me to write more about my country, then I will start it by posting below some important Tagalog words and phrases you can use as you are in the Philippines. Though there are over 170 languages in the country, I will prefer to write English to Tagalog translation since Tagalog is mostly understood and is the basis for the national and official language of the Philippines, Filipino. So I tried to research to help me formulate the following words and phrases since my Tagalog is not that good. I came from the Northern part of the country that speak Cebuano or Bisaya.
So goodluck to my readers and no doubt if one day you speak Tagalog to me..Hehehe....

              English Phrases                                      Tagalog Phrases
English Greetings                                 Tagalog Greetings:


Hi!
Good morning!                                     Magandang Umaga!

Good evening!                                      Magandang Gabi!

Welcome! (to greet someone)
How are you?                                        Kumusta?

I'm fine, thanks!                                   Mabuti naman,Salamat!

And you?                                               At ikaw?

Good/ So-So.
Thank you (very much)!                         Maraming Salamat!
You're welcome! (for "thank you")
Hey! Friend!                                          Kaibigan!

I missed you so much!
What's new?                                          Anong bago?

Nothing much                                        Wala naman

Good night!
See you later!                                        Sa muling pagkikita!

Good bye!
Asking for Help and Directions
I'm lost                                                  Ako’y nawawala

Can I help you?                                      Pwede ba kitang tulungan?
Where is the (bathroom/ pharmacy)?    Nasaan ang (palikuran/botika)?

Go straight! then turn left/right!           Diretso lang, tapos kaliwa/kanan!
I'm looking for john.                              Hinahanap ko si John.

One moment please!                              Isang Saglit lang po.

Hold on please! (phone)                         Sandali lamang po.

How much is this?                                  Magkano ito?

Excuse me ...! (to ask for something)   Makisuyo po…!

Excuse me! ( to pass by)                        Makikiraan po!

Come with me!                                      Sumama ka sa akin!

How to Introduce Yourself

Do you speak (English/ Tagalog)?
Just a little.                                             Kaunti lang.

What's your name?                                Ano ang pangalan mo?

My name is ..                                          Ako ay si….

Mr.../ Mrs.…/ Miss…                            Ginoo../Ginang../Binibining…

Nice to meet you!
You're very kind!                                   Ang bait-bait mo

Where are you from?                            Taga-saan ka ba?
I'm from (the U.S/ the Philippines)      Taga Pilipinas ako.

I'm (American)                                       Ako ay Amerikano.

Where do you live?                                Saan ka nakatira?

I live in (the U.S/ the Philippines)          Nakatira ako sa Pilipinas.

Did you like it here?                               Gusto mo ba dito?

the Philippines is a wonderful country  Ang Pilipinas ay
                                                             magandang bansa.

What do you do for a living?                  Ano ang ikinabubuhay mo?

I work as a (translator/ businessman)    Nagtatrabaho ako bilang
                                                             (Translator/Negosyante)

I like Tagalog                                         Gusto ko ang Tagalog.

I've been learning Tagalog for1month    Pinag-aralan ko ang tagalog
                                                               ng isang buwan.

Oh! That's good!                                  Mabuti iyan!

How old are you?                                 ilang taon ka na?

I'm (twenty, thirty...) years old.           Ako’y (Dalawampung, tatlumpung..)
                                                              taon gulang na.

I have to go                                        Kailangan ko ng umalis.

I will be right back!                             Babalik ako.

Wish Someone Something
Good luck! 
Happy birthday!                                 Maligayang Kaarawan!

Happy new year!                                Maligayang Bagong Taon!
Merry Christmas!                               Maligayang Pasko!

Congratulations!
Enjoy! (for meals...)
I'd like to visit the Philippines          Gusto kong bisitahin ang Pilipinas
     one day                                                 isang araw.

Say hi to John for me                           Ikumusta mo na lang ako kay John.

Bless you (when sneezing)
Good night and sweet dreams!              Gandang Gabi!

Solving a Misunderstanding
I'm Sorry! (if you don't hear something)  Pakiulit nga po..

Sorry (for a mistake)                                 Pasensya na..

No Problem!                                            Walang Problema..

Can You Say It Again?                             Pakisabi nga ulit?

Can You Speak Slowly?                           Pwedeng pakihinaan ang
                                                                  iyong pagsasalita?

Write It Down Please!                            Pakisulat nga po!

I Don't Understand!                                  Hindi ko maintindihan.

I Don't Know!                                         Hindi ko alam.

I Have No Idea.                                       Wala akong ideya.

What's That Called In Tagalog?
What Does "gato" Mean In English?
How Do You Say "Please" In Tagalog?    Paano mo sabihin ang “Please”
                                                                sa tagalog
What Is This?                                          Ano ito?

My Tagalog is bad.                                 Ang tagalog ko ay mali.

I need to practice my Tagalog              Kailangan ko pang pag-aralan
                                                             ang tagalog.

Don't worry!                                             Huwag kang mag-alala.

Tagalog Expressions and Words
Good/ Bad/ So-So.                                Maganda/Masama

Big/ Small                                               Malaki/Maliit

Today/ Now                                          Ngayon

Tomorrow/ Yesterday                            Bukas/Kahapon

Yes/ No                                                  Oo/Hindi

Here you go! (when giving something)    Para sa iyo!

Do you like it?                                       Nagustuhan mo ba?
I really like it!                                        Nagustuhan ko talaga!

I'm hungry/ thirsty.                                Ako’y nagugutom/nauuhaw.

In The Morning/ Evening/ At Night.      Sa umaga/hapon/gabi.

This/ That. Here/There                         Ito/Iyan. Dito/Dyan

Me/ You. Him/ Her.                             Ako/Ikaw. Siya

Really!                                                    Talaga!

Look!                                                     Tingnan mo!

Hurry up!                                                  Bilisan mo!

What? Where?                                        Ano? Saan?
What time is it?                                       Anong oras na?

It's 10 o'clock. 07:30pm.                         Alas diyes na. Alas syete
                                                              y medya na ng gabi.

Give me this!                                       Ibigay mo sa akin ito!
I love you!                                            Mahal kita!

I feel sick.
I need a doctor                                     Kailangan ko ng doktor.

One, Two, Three                                  Isa, Dalawa, Tatlo

Four, Five, Six                                     Apat, Lima, Anim

Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten                        Pito, Walo, Siyam, Sampu.






   









1 comment:

Philwebservices said...

wow!!so nice..keep on posting...